Monday, March 14, 2011

Salida 'Run Through Time' Marathon Race Report

What a great weekend. I don't really know where to start this story. The best place may be as I was lying in bed Thursday night. I got a txt on my phone from an unknown number. It read : Random question, will you be in Salida this weekend? Why, yeah, I was gonna be in Salida this weekend, but I had no clue who the txt was from. I conferred with my google account for a while and tracked down the number. Long story short... my good friend from college, Hunter, was driving up from Los Alamos to run his first marathon.

Friday evening I jumped in the car with a couple good friends excited to get down to Salida, run a trail marathon in a great setting and catch up an old friend; better than any happy hour I've ever attended...

This was my 1st (but definitely not last) time running this race. All I could really gather is that it cheap, well run, and in a great spot. The course had an advertised 4600 feet of gain/loss, and lots of dirt. So I actually had pretty high expectations going in. I wasn't disappointed in the least. I didn't really have any big goals for the race, as you never really know who's going to show up and it's hard to predict a time goal on a hilly trial course.

Following the check-in, I had pretty low goals for the day. There were tons of fast, accomplished runners all around me. I decided anything under 4 hours would make me happy. I also got to catch up with Hunter and quiz him on why he chose such a crazy run for his first substantial distance race. He didn't really have a good reason, which, when I really think about it makes the most sense.

Long shadows of Emily, Jeremiah and I.

The race starts with a long 10 mile gradual and fully runnable climb. I decided to take it pretty easy at the start hoping to gradually crank up the pace as the day went on and the course flattened out and headed back down towards Salida. I found myself in about 25th place a few miles in, and gradually started moving up the pack as runners who'd likely gone out a bit too fast started to slow. The course turns off of a decently smooth dirt road onto a more rocky jeep trail for a 2-3 out and back to the top of the course. This section got steep at the end and allowed you to gauge where you stood amongst all of the leaders. I started counting the runners on their way back down, but stopped counting at 10 as I was out of breath and could smell the top. I pushed it a bit harder right at the top of the climb and was able to catch 2-3 runners right before the turn around. I wanted to just hang out up there and enjoy the view, but alas, I was in a race. A total stranger was friendly enough to share a photo he snapped from the spot. Hammering the downhill back to the dirt road, I was able to wave and encourage several friends on their way up the hill.
Snowy 14ers that will likely make me their B*tch this fall. (Photo: John Courtney)

Around the 13 mile Aid Station I caught up to Geoff Roes, who was obviously out for a leisurely training run, and we chatted about my upcoming trip to AK and what not as we ran through some slightly muddy jeep trail on our way to the 20M aid station. It was nice talking with him; he really is just another humble nice trail runner and I'm pretty excited for that trip (he has a few more spots open for his July session, if you're interested).

The 'highlight's of the day involved the 20M aid station. As we were running in I was talking about how I was excited to finally get on some more technical single track while simultaneously unscrewing the top of my water bottle to get a fill-up. I'd like to say I know what happened, but I don't. Simply put, I ate shit. Water, dirt, and even a little blood went everywhere. No major injuries, just my pride. Right in front the AS crew and a couple runners. I finally gathered myself and sauntered over to the aid station just as Geoff was cracking open a PBR. He didn't want the whole can, and given the recent affairs, I felt it wouldn't hurt to imbibe a little myself, so I joined him.

That whole fiasco lasted all but a few minutes, but it was long enough for a couple runners to pass me. Geoff and I headed down the as-advertised awesome single track. About a mile later, there was a 200-300 yard grunt of a climb that practically stopped me in my tracks. That was the last of Geoff as he went flying by. Just at the top, I was able to catch and pass one of the runners who passed me at the aid station.

The last 5 miles of the race were pretty uneventful. I would catch glimpses of the runner in front of me, but he always seemed closer than he actually was. The single track was quite curvy, and the views of the Collegiate Peaks on the other side of the valley were breathtaking. It got me thinking about the Nolan's 14 attempt I have been contemplating later this summer.

Jeremiah and Emily were awaiting me at the finish. I think I ended up 9th in about 3:38, but the results currently list some lady with my bib number finishing instead of me. I guess my attempt at a beard isn't working. We hung out at the Park and had a few beers while we waited to cheer Hunter to the finish. I attempted to take a dip in the creek, but only got about ankle deep before chickening out. It was damn cold. I'm just not that tough. A beer or two later, we spotted hunter on the switchbacks leading into town. He finished with a smile, which is more than I can say about my first marathon.

Emily, Jeremiah and I soaking in the sun post race (beer in hand).

Hunter post race..I was excited for him

My car-mates (who ran the 1/2) were savvy enough to drink enough beers to render themselves non-drivers, so we hopped in the car, grabbed some beer and pizza on the way out of town and I drove rather quickly back to Denver just in time for a shower before I heading to the Pepsi Center to watch the Nuggets embarrass the Pistons.


  1. I hope you didn't add that part about the Nuggets embarrassing the Pistons for my benefit.

  2. Sounds like a great run. I'll have to remember this one for next year. Glad I'm not the only one who falls at the most inopportune times. Nice work

  3. Great recap. Where in AK are you heading? My parents live in Eagle River, 10 miles north of Anchorage. I will be out there the 3rd week of June and will try to make it up for Crow Pass in July.

    Let me know if you need a place to crash up there. I can hook you up with some cool people out that way.

  4. Evan,

    I'm hoping to make it out for Crow Pass at the end of July before heading to Juneau for Geoff's running camp. It'd be great to see you up there.